Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Raised beds in progress

Here are the beds in progress...this was a couple of weeks ago. They are lined with a heavy plastic mesh, and then I added an additional layer of weed blocking material to help control erosion on the concrete base. For the pressure treated boxes (two of them) I lined the sides with plastic to prevent chemicals leaching into the soil. I'm not terribly concerned; basically the research I did said that it's worst the first year, but if it is lined with plastic, it can't leach through. Also, the chemicals tend to be stored in the plants themselves, so things like carrots and other root vegetables would absorb more than say, a tomato, which would have more of the chemical found in its leaves.

I got the bamboo trellis built, it looks a little weird now, but once things start to fill in, it will be very pretty. I built the whole thing by drilling holes in the bamboo and using cable ties to attach them. I just wish it were warmer... it's still a bit too cool for me.

The peas are up, doing OK so far. I also have spinach and Swiss chard coming up. The cilantro seeded itself everywhere, so I have been transplanting seedlings into the big beds. I also planted borage for the bees, some onions, and transplanted some kale from one of the grow boxes. My tomato plants are out of control; they are taking over the house. I've given a bunch away, but I still have more. I started the cucumbers and melons in peat pots inside on the seedling heat mat.

This time of year is tough because there's so much to do and it books up quickly. This weekend we are going to a birthday party on Saturday. I was hoping to borrow a truck and go get some mulch for the yard inteh mornign before we have to leave, but it's supposed to rain. I always plan more things than I can realistically handle. I know I just got back from Florida, but I could really use a break from work; just a mental break. I've just had it with everything; I just want to get this Church project wrapped up and go do something else. I'm actually looking forward to some downtime so I can work in the garden, precious time which truly makes me happy and takes my mind off of work. This kind of stress is not healthy at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment