Monday, July 20, 2009

Updates from the garden...


So, I made some awesome tomato sauce from the first tomatoes of the year... I had about 6 of them. That variety was called "Rutgers." The teeny ones in the photo are my "micro tomatoes," an heirloom variety called "Currant." How adorable are they?! Olive calles them "Tiny Matoes." I saw these in the catalog and thought, "How silly!" but they were just too cute to pass up. The funny thing is, I grow tomatoes every year. I hate raw tomatoes. Hate them. So does Marc, and so does Olive. It seems kind of ironic, but I just cook them instead. The micro ones are actually tolerable; I've eaten a few and don't mind them. They're just kind of sour, and they lack that explosive gushy slimy quality that most tomatoes have.

I made sauce with the tomatoes and sweet Italian sausage and basil. Fantastic. I also made cucumber salad with the first cucumber of the year mixed with homemade yogurt I made this weekend. It really is remarkable how much better stuff tastes when it's fresh and you make it yourself. The fresh cucumber was so sweet, it actually had a flavor and wasn't tasteless and waxy like most cucumbers you get at the store. I was having a little homesteading moment there when you say to yourself, "This is why I do this!" It was great.

Tonight I also discovered another surprise in the garden, I have a cantaloupe coming along that I swear was not there the other day. Too cute. My neighbor's chain link fence is turning out to be a great trellis, I am just trying to keep all the fruit growing on my side :)

And, last but certainly not least, the Stargazers are blooming and the entire yard smells heavenly. They are my favorite flowers; at least next to morning glories!

No comments:

Post a Comment