Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Not a whole lot going on...

I know, I have to post some pictures of the finished product. I will, I promise! I almost don't know what to do now that the fish is done. It is strangely anti-climatic. I think in the interests of finanical security, I'm going to try to find mosaic subject matter that will make the best use of all the leftover tiles I have. I have lots, I'm sure I can think of something.

Work has been worrisome as of late; it depends on who you ask, but it seems pretty precarious to me. I had begun assembling my loosely knit safety net, just in case. In some ways, I think it might almost be a good thing, it would motivate me to get out there; but at the same time, this is a shitty time to be out there trying to make it on your own. Marc is working at Center Stage this week and I'm jealous. I miss theater painting. I don't miss the hours and the pay, but I miss the actual work; it's probably the most enjoyable work I've ever done in my life.

I dug up one of my impatiens from the garden and potted it up and brought it to work. It's so cheerful, it is blooming like crazy. This is the time of year when I find it hard to "let go" of all the annuals. It hasn't frosted here yet. I may dig up another one. My lettuce is doing well, almost harvestable. I also planted some garlic too. I still have beets and carrots in the garden too. I discovered that Giant has all it's canning supplies 50% off for the end of the season. I bought some pectin and some more pint jars for jam.

I am battling the effing fruit flies in my worm bin again. I swear they spontaneously generate from bananas. The one time I didn't freeze the peels first, and now it's all infested all over again. I'm just going to leave it out until they all die. I think the worm bin may have to go live permanently in the shed.

1 comment:

  1. Do you know how to make a fruit fly trap? Pour a little vinegar in a ramekin-sized dish, stretch plastic over it, and poke small holes in the plastic. Fruit flies check in, but they can't check out. It may not be necessary to put the bin outside.

    I know what you mean about the annuals. I try to be scientific/philosophical about it, but it still tugs at me.

    ReplyDelete