Saturday, August 8, 2009

The fish continues...


I'm off to NY for a couple of days to visit the family; I did make progress on the mosaic this week while at the Beach. I ended up buying new Thinset and starting over, which sucked, but I'll be better off int he end. I am debating weather it is better to adhere the tiles to the wood with Thinset or glue. I thought glue might be kinda cheating, kinda half-assed, which is why I thought I'd switch to the Thinset. Glue is primarily used for attaching tiles to mesh, which is then set in Thinset. But then you have to work in a mirror image, which can really be tricky. The Thinset is definitely harder to use; it's messy, and I am finding that it creates a less even finish... the tile surface is bumpier. I also don't like that you have to put a fair amount of it on, or the tiles won't stick, but then it squishes up between the tiles and you have to clean this out later or the grout won't have enough space to hold. And there's the drying time issue. It was rainy at the Beach, and the stuff was taking a long time to set up. I'll have to consult some message boards. Anyone else have any recommendations?

Also, my State Fair entries have to be in by August 24th! I am getting nervous... I still have to make a batch of peach jam. I'll have to do that as soon as I get back. That's the problem with filling out the entry form a month and a half early. I think I'm going to have Kate or Marc help me make a nice label for all the jars... aesthetics must count for something!

No comments:

Post a Comment