Thursday, September 17, 2009

My rant for the day


So, I go to the Grocery store at lunch and see a plastic package ($4.00)containing six individually wrapped bags containing 8 individual grapes. They also had packages which contained three orange slices each. They were gross, they looked like they were cut weeks ago. But really, the condition of the fruit is not the point. Is this what we've come to? Can you possibly create more useless plastic packaging to unleash on the world? Can you possibly be so careless with money that it doesn't bother you that this is astronomically expensive on a per pound level? Can you possibly be this lazy? Is it really so hard to make a kid's lunch?! Argh, stuff like that just makes my head spin. This makes individually wrapped cheese seem sensible. Who is buying this stuff?

Ahh, deep breath. Enough. So, I have registered for my next Clayworks class. Handbuilt Tableware; I am very excited. I have some ideas already for some bowls. It's expensive, but for me, having a class to go to once a week is a huge help. It gives me something to look forward to, it's a night just for me to get out, and we usually go get beer afterwards, which is fun too. There's something inherently soothing about clay, it's a wonderful stress reliever, which, if you haven't deduced from my previous paragraph, I could really use.

Things at work have been very quiet; which is hard for me. I'm just not that good at sitting around looking at stuff online (but I do anyway) because I just sit there cooking up new projects for myself. I did order some New York Ironweed plants that I found online, which should ship next week. (See above) I am thinking about getting a truckload of dirt to topdress all the beds before winter. I'll also need some when I plant the dwarf red buckeye I'm planning on buying this weekend at the Herring Run Watershed Association Plant Sale. It's great, they have online coupons for $10 off each tree, and most of the trees are $15-$25 to begin with. I think I'm going to get some more bottlebrush buckeye as well, and possibly some oakleaf hydrangea. I was looking in the yard last night, and it's not too bad over there along the fence... I definitely have some stuff to clear out, but it shouldn't be too awful. The dirt over there is just crap though. Hopefully it won't be too rainy this weekend and I can tackle some of it.

I'm such a chicken shit though... I think on some level I have been avoiding working on that part of the yard because I saw a snake over there once. Stupid, I know.

I think I have come up with a brilliant plan to kill off the flies in my worm bin. I'm going to set up my seedling heat mat underneath it, and set it out one night when it's going to frost. The worms will stay warm down at the bottom, and all the flies and eggs will be killed off on the surface. Hopefully that will work, and then I can bring them back in the house.

Ok, now I'm just rambling because I'm bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment