Friday, March 19, 2010

Impatience will have it's rewards someday

OK, just because I'm a wee bit impatient does not mean I'm crazy. Here is my grand experiment... I decided to try to the Wall-O-Water things and see what happens. (Ibought them last year and never used them) Yesterday, I planted a Tigerella and a Striped Boar in the big planter box. March 18th. I really shouldn't be planting anything until May 1 or so, but I've never been known to sit around waiting for warm weather. After I set up the tubes and got them all filled with water, I was surprised by how quickly they heated up. I checked them yesterday evening and they were still quite warm. Most people are just starting their tomato plants from seeds. I figured I'd give it a try and just see what happens. I only have about 30 more tomato plants around the house, so if they don't make it, it's not that big a deal. My only concern is that the plants might outgrow the walls before its warm enough out, but that has yet to be seen. I don't think they would work as well directly in the ground, but I think the soil in the boxes warms up faster. We'll just have to see.

I'm also researching drip irrigation systems; I found one that is a gravity fed system that works from a cistern or rainbarrel type of set up. If I set up the rain barrel at the corner of the house, I could just water everything from that. If it doesn't rain, I just fill it with the hose, and the water pressure and gravity do the rest. It will probably cost me about $50-$60 once it's all said and done, (plus the $40 for the rain barrel workshop) but I think it will be worth it.

Yes, I have been a bit obsessive about the vegetable gardening this week. I could have gone to Patapsco today, but I resisted. I'm trying to conserve my money for soil and planter boxes. I am determined to do this with as many free and recycled materials as I can get. I discovered today that they are getting rid of a big planter box from the Church we're working at... It's probably 3 x 12 or so, but it's made of pressure treated 6x6's and is super sturdy. It could be taken apart and reassembled along the wall in the driveway. It's about 3' deep too, which is really deep, I could probably even break it up into two shallower beds. I'm a little concerned with it being pressure treated wood, but I am hoping that any chemical nasties would have leached out of it by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment