Friday, March 26, 2010

Chilly Tonight

It's supposed to drop down into the 30's tonight. Ugh. I stuck a bottle of hot water in each of the wall-o-water teepees outside and then covered them up with a blanket for a little extra protection it was cool today, and rained this morning but the temperature has been steadily falling as it has cleared and now it's quite cold. Tomorrow night it's supposed to be even colder. I know it's crazy, but I have faith that my tomatoes will make it through. I just wonder if it's going to stunt their growth, that will be the interesting thing to see as the spring progresses.

The rose I rescued from the alley in Mt. Vernon is showing signs of life, I pruned it way back and now it's got some new buds coming on. And the David Austin rose I have in the front yard that I thought was completely dead after that storm is even showing signs of life. It's kind of inspiring to see how resilient these things are. The peas and kale are up to, but they haven't done much since it's been so chilly. I'm sure they'll start growing like crazy once it's a little warmer.

I dropped my big hunk of granite off at the stone mason guy today; he's got a little shop in the middle of Fells Point that you wouldn't even know was there. For $65, he's going to drill a 1/2" hole in it for me to make my fountain. He carves lettering in stone; he did the engraved Walt Whitman poem that goes all around the entrance of the Dupont Circle Metro station entrance. I love meeting real craftspeople who do real work; its so refreshing to know it's not a dead art to make stuff with your hands anymore.

Marc is going to do a website for my friend Julie in exchange for her husband Kyle delivering compost and topsoil to me! Sweet deal, talk about working dirt cheap! What an awesome husband I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment