Sunday, June 13, 2010

Amish Country


So, perhaps you are trying to convince yourself that farm life really isn't a practical option for you at this point in your life. Well then, you certainly don't want to spend a beautiful June Saturday afternoon driving around the gorgeous rolling Amish farmlands of Lancaster county. (Lancaster County, incidentally, has an unfortunate dark side. They are the number one biggest producer of puppy mill dogs.) I am really starting to think that I was Amish in a past life. We went to the Thomas the Train Day at the Strasburg railroad museum on Saturday; Olive had a great time. I think she had just as much fun on the school bus ride from the field we were parked in to the actual event than she did on the train, but it was fun nonetheless. We stopped and fed goats and chickens and some sheep. We saw lots of horses; the Amish buggies were out and lots of people were out plowing their fields with the horse driven teams. Let's just say it did nothing to quell my desire to quit my job, move to the country and homestead for the next twenty or thirty years. It was a very fun afternoon.

The garden is still coming along, I finally have some squash starting to emerge. Still not a whole lot of growth from the cucumbers, I don't know what the deal is. I bought a poblano pepper plant at the Farmers' Market this morning, and got that in along with a yellow squash for kicks. I also braved the long line this morning for fresh peas. I got 4 lbs, I will probably freeze some this afternoon while they are still fresh. They are so good, but so fleeting. Got to enjoy them now while I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment