Thursday, June 17, 2010

One Marshmallow


So, day four of the no HFCS diet. (not really a "diet" per se, but you know what I mean) I had one small indulgence, and that was when Olive and I had a fire in the backyard and toasted marshmallows. I only had one. I mean really, are you going to pass that up? I don't think so. It's been challenging though. To avoid the HFCS, you basically have to make everything yourself, no prepared foods whatsoever. It's in everything. It takes some planning, too; you have to make sure you have plenty of snacks on hand because that's when it's easiest to slip up.
One of my big planters is causing me a headache. The two tomatoes in it (a San Marzano and a Striped Roman) are both showing signs of blossom end rot. None of the other plants seem to have it. I know it is an issue of calcium absorption, caused by uneven watering. This seems odd to me, since I feel like the watering has been pretty consistent. Maybe they are too wet, that could be it. I crushed some Tums in a mortar and pestle and mixed it with water and applied it to them; I have no idea if that will work, it's my own concoction, but I guess it can't hurt. I have to say, I'm a little disappointed with my garden boxes. They are just not doing as well as I had imagined they would. I suspect it is the soil, I am thinking that there must not be much microbial activity happening. More compost, I guess. I am starting to wonder if it's a drainage issue; I may have lined them a little too well. Oh well, it's always learning. That's what keeps things interesting. There's also the distinct possibility that I'm just impatient.
My Jam workshop is next Tuesday night. So far 9 people have signed up. I'm getting all nervous now. Just the same old social anxiety kicking in again. I hate being the center of attention, and yet I love to teach and help people; go figure. I think Saturday we are going to go pick sour cherries and blueberries. I'd go tomorrow since I'm off anyway, but the blueberries don't open until Saturday. I want to go early though, it's supposed to be humid and in the upper 90's. I am thinking blueberries will be the easiest thing for my workshop to make jam from, they are pretty much problem free. They should be OK for four days, hopefully.
I am trying to keep busy to keep myself from wallowing in my unemployment time. The truth be told, I actually love having the time off; I'm kind of dreading going back, but we need the money. I've managed to tackle a bunch of small projects around the house that I've been trying to get to. Tomorrow I'm touching up the front door where I sanded and primed. It's just so easy for me to fall into this "What am I doing with my LIFE?!" mode that is totally paralyzing. I have no idea. The more I think about it, the more ridiculous it seems to me that I haven't figured this out. Buying a farm in Vermont and homesteading is my dream, but I know it's not really feasible, or realistic. I just have to focus on doing what I can with what I already have, rather than whining about something I want that I may never have. Yeah, it's best if I just keep busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment